10 Of The Best Winter Campsites In The UK
Updated: Jan 23
There are so many reasons to rent a campervan during the winter months and head off on a road trip. Our camper Cherry is equipped with a diesel heater to keep you toasty warm for year round camping. Off season camper van trips are almost always cheaper, less busy and there's something rather romantic about snuggling up after an evening by the fireplace in a cosy pub.
1. Bargoed Farm, Ceredigion, Wales built on a family farm in between picturesque seaside towns Aberaeron and New Quay in the heart of the Cardigan Bay. Bargoed farm is the perfect base for exploring wildlife from red kites to dolphins as Cardigan Bay sees the highest number of dolphin sightings in the UK! There’s also many blue flag beaches close by and historical sites to see meaning there really is something for everyone! Onsite offerings include The Moody Cow Bistro, Butchers and Farm shop, and The Moody Calf Play Barn, an indoor/outdoor soft-play for little ones to let loose whilst the adults relax! The site has 50 fully serviced pitches to choose from, 20 of which have their own private hot tub if you fancy a bit of extra luxury! Dogs are welcome.
View from private hot tub at Bargoed Farm
2. The Quiet Site, Ullswater, the Lake District, England is located in the heart of the Lake District National Park on the Ullswater Way (a 20 mile circular walk wound England's most beautiful lake). The Quiet Site is a carbon neutral holiday park with sustainability being at the heart of everything it does. It has won many awards including a Queen's Award for Enterprise in Sustainable Development in 2020 and was also the only holiday park to feature in The Times newspaper list of Cool Places To Stay in 2019. The All weather pitches are designed for VW’s with pea gravel surfaces. Guests are also welcome to borrow campsite fridges, toasters, kettles and microwaves. The highlight for us though has to be The Quite Bar- originally an agricultural barn erected in 1648 and converted into a bar in 1963, it's the perfect place for cosy winter drinks around the open fire and even has a playroom for children! Dogs are not welcome.
The Quiet Site Bar
3. Bath Chew Valley, Near Bath if you are looking for an adults only option this is the place for you! It was voted the UK’s best adults only caravan park from 2009- 2019. Great facilities including, private bathrooms, Chew Valley Lake country park 800 metres away, a pub nearby and all pitches have electric hook- up. Dogs are welcome.
Ariel Shot of Bath Chew Valley
4. Kings Lynn Caravan and Camping Park, Norfolk. This site is set in 10 acres of parkland in prime position for exploring Norkfolk and the Fens. The campervan pitches are generously sized and the park's two toilet and shower blocks are heated- an added bonus throughout the winter months. They also offer flexible check in/check out times. Dogs are welcome.
Sunset at Kings Lynn
5. Birchwood Tourist Park, Wareham Forest Birchwood offers direct access into Wareham Forest and is in an ideal location for exploring the Jurassic coast and Dorset. It's extremely peaceful throughout the winter months and offers a variety of different pitch types and has an onsite shop and off licence. Dogs are welcome.
Pitches on the edge of Wareham Forest
6. Braemar Caravan Park, Aberdeenshire, Scotland Throughout the winter months Braemar transforms into a winter wonderland! It is set within the breath taking Invercauld Estate based in the Cairngorms National Park. There are 86 hard standing pitches with electric hook up. Two stand out features at Braemar are Scotland's highest 18 hole golf course and the Glenshee Ski Centre. So after a long day on the slopes facilities such as ski lockers, laundry and boot wash and drying room, heated toilets and shower blocks will really come in handy! . Although it's in a fairly remote location Braemar village is within easy walking distance and has a variety of shops & restaurants. Onsite they have a shop selling camping equipment, drinks/snacks and a range of Calor Gas cylinders available to buy. Dogs are welcome.
Braemar Caravan Park
7. Valley Farm, Woodbridge, Suffolk is a countryside retreat perfect for families, couples or individuals who would enjoy long walks through the Suffolk countryside. The campsite is a large level meadow with 20 spacious pitches (10 with electric hook up) and has great views of the pony meadow and sunsets (riding lessons also available to book). Other facilities include a children's play area, pay and play golf course adjoining the property (http://www.gleveringmill.co.uk/) and Tesco grocery delivery service. Dogs and horses are welcome and stables can be provided if necessary.
Horse riding around Valley Farm (available to book)
8. Sykeside Camping Park, the Lake District, England is situated in the heart of Doveland Valley with stunning views of Dove Crag and just a short walk from Brotherswater making it a brilliant location for exploring the Lake District and Cumbia. It has around 30 walks starting from Skyeside, from leisurely strolls to more challenging hikes making this another perfect spot for winter walks. There are 21 hard standing pitches available for campervans with electric hook up with stunning views from wherever you pitch and onsite pub- Brotherswater Inn offering hot meals and a well stocked bar- what more could you ask for! Dogs are welcome.
Great Views surround Skyside Camping Park
9. Quantock Orchard Caravan Park, Somerset is in the Somerset Countryside surrounded by the Quantock Hills. There is a mixture of hard standing and grass pitches spread over 8 acres and a communal BBQ area. Other facilities include bike hire, a gym and an outdoor pool for the summer months. They are currently offering seven nights for £130 until the 28th February 2022. Dogs are welcome.
Entrance at Quantock Orchard Caravan Park- open all year round!
10. Chalmersquoy, Westray, Orkney Islands, Scotland this campsite was originally a working farm and is open all year round. Set in beautiful Westray, Orkney- Queen of the Isles. Nearby Westrays beaches and coastline are worth checking out as is Noup Head Cliffs and bird reserve, Noltland Castle and the Castle o’Burrian- the perfect place to spot puffins in Orkney. There are 12 hard standing pitches with electric hook up located in the two paddocks to the rear of the original farm buildings. Just a short walk away in Pierowall Village you'll find shops selling fresh bread and local produce, a heritage centre, swimming pool and a fish merchant selling fish & chips on Wednesdays and Saturdays- yummy! Dogs are welcome.
Stunning Views from Chalmersquoy